Email marketing is the act of sending a commercial message, typically to a group of people, using email. In its broadest sense, every email sent to a potential or current customer could be considered email marketing. It usually involves using email to send advertisements, request business, or solicit sales or donations, and is meant to build loyalty, trust, or brand awareness. Marketing emails can be sent to a purchased lead list or a current customer database. The term usually refers to sending email messages with the purpose of enhancing a merchant's relationship with current or previous customers, encouraging customer loyalty and repeat business, acquiring new customers or convincing current customers to purchase something immediately, and sharing third-party ads.
Email marketing is popular with companies for several reasons:
- Email marketing is significantly cheaper and faster than traditional mail, mainly because of the high cost and time required in a traditional mail campaign for producing the artwork, printing, addressing, and mailing.
- Email provides a cost-effective method to test different marketing content, including visual, creative, marketing copy, and multimedia assets.
- The data gathered by testing in the email channel can then be used across all channels of marketing campaigns, both print and digital.
- Advertisers can reach substantial numbers of email subscribers who have opted in to receive the email.
- If compared to standard email, direct email marketing produces higher response rate and higher average order value for e-commerce businesses.